Based on our Dixie Fried Chicken rub, this fresh and tangy dish is ideal for
- 1 TSP Vegetable Oil
- 1 EA Onion or Shallot small & finely chopped
- 3 CLOVE Garlic chopped
- 3 TBSP Sea Salt
- 3 EA Rosemary Branches
- 1 LT Boiling Water
- 1 EA Lemon halved
- 12 PIECES Chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings or a mix
- 2 CUPS Plain Flour sifted
- 1 TBSP Black Pepper
- ½ PACK DIXIE FRIED CHICKEN GOURMET SEASONING
- 2 TSP Seas Salt
- 1 TBSP Baking Powder
- 1 CUP Buttermilk or Whole Milk
- 1.5 LT Vegetable Oil for frying
- ½ CUP Good Quality Store Bought Mayo
- ¼ TSP Minced Jalapeno Chillies
- 2 CUPS Purple Cabbage shredded
- 2 CUPS Green Cabbage shredded
- 2 CUPS Carrot grated
- ¼ CUP Coriander (fresh) roughly chopped
- ½ CUP Peanuts or Almonds toasted & roughly chopped
- 3 TBSP Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 150°C
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onion until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, salt and rosemary, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the hot water and lemon, squeezing the juice into the water, taking care to remove any seeds.
- Removefrom heat once the salt has dissolved and allow to cool.
- Place the chicken pieces in the brine and refrigerate for a minimum of 4-6 hours. Overnight is even better.
- Removethe chicken from the brine, rinse in cold water, pat dry with kitchen paper andset aside.
- Mix the flour and DIXIE FRIED CHICKEN GOURMET SEASONING in a bowl. Divide between two bowls and pour the buttermilk into a third bowl. Set a rack on top of a paper towel.
- Dust thechicken in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess, then dip into thebuttermilk then dip again in the 2nd bowl of flour. Place the dredged chickenpieces on a rack over a baking tray for the excess to drip off.
- Heat the oil in a large pot to 180°C. Gently fry the chicken until beautifully golden brown and crunchy and cooked through. (10-15 minutes depending on the size of your chicken pieces.)
- Keep warm in an oven until you have fried all the chicken then serve with Spicy Mayo and Coleslaw. Also delicious popped into a toasted bun!
- In a mixing bowl,combine the cabbage, carrots, coriander, and toasted nuts. Toss in olive oiland lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.